When looking for a reliable and competent scientific editing services for your research manuscript, you are likely to encounter various types of scientific editing. There exists a plethora of scientific editing companies and this confuses the researchers about which one to choose. To select the right type of scientific editing service which suits their paper is yet another difficulty.
So, here we present an illustration of the different types of scientific editing services to help you understand the difference between them. This will further make it easier for you to choose the right type of service for your research paper and save time and resources in unnecessary editing.
1) Substantive Editing
This type of editing makes these improvements in your research paper:
- Clarity and precision of information
- Removal of repeated and awkward phrases
- Removal of any biassed language and inappropriate jargon
- Language style and logical flow in sentences and paragraphs
- Expression in the English language
- Reduction in passive voice of sentences
- Clarity and parallelism in tables and figures
- Organisation of sentences and paragraphs, as required
- Removal of any contradictions in the written information
- Completeness of all information
You need substantive editing of your research paper if English is not your first language or you wish to check the overall structure, logic, and organisation of your information.
2) Copy Editing
- Correction of spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors
- Correction of word usage
- Checking the consistency of citations and references, style of language, abbreviations, numbers, and lists, facts, data, and scientific units
- Checking the consistency of tables, figures, and references
You need a copy editing service for your research paper if you want to eliminate all mechanical errors and improve the overall consistency.
3) Journal Formatting
To ensure and raise your chances of acceptance by the journal, you should make your research manuscript comply with the journal’s guidelines for authors. For this, choose a journal formatting service which involves:
- Adapting the text to suit the requirements of style, spelling, and punctuation
- Formatting of references and citations to suit the journal style
- Organising the different sections of the manuscript to suit the journal guidelines
- Arranging the tables, figures, and figure legends as per the instructions of the journal
- Making the text fit within the word limit set by the journal
- Making the manuscript adhere to the instructions on acronyms, units, and symbols used
If you have edited your research document and want to submit for publication in a journal, you must give it a final proofread:
- Identify any remaining errors
- Catch and eliminate grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting errors
- Check the headers, footers, page breaks, and word breaks
- Check the final design and layout of your manuscript
By knowing the tasks involved in different types of scientific editing, you can choose either one or a combination of two or more services to make your research manuscript fit for publication.